- July 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
Gorgeous cherries are cooked in kirsh and sugar and left to bubble away, until buttery and syrupy, then topped with a fluffy, creamy batter before baking. Cherry clafoutis = a dessert you’ll want to dive right in to.
Discover lots more cherry recipes, including pies and pavlovas, here.
- 39.8g (22.3g saturated)
- 68.3g (57.7g sugars)
- 50g lightly salted butter
- 500g cherries, stalks removed, pitted
- 150g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp kirsch
- 2 large free-range eggs, separated
- 135ml double cream, plus extra to serve
- 40g plain flour
- 15g ground almonds
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Melt the butter in a 20cm (measured across the base) cast-iron frying pan or shallow flameproof baking dish, then add the pitted cherries, 100g of the caster sugar, the lemon zest and 2 tsp kirsch. Leave to bubble away over a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the cherries are just tender. Pour the buttery, syrupy juice into a small pan and set aside. Arrange the cherries evenly across the base of the pan you cooked them in, or a similar-size shallow baking dish.
- To make the topping, whisk the egg yolks and remaining caster sugar together in a small mixing bowl for about 4 minutes until the mixture is thick and pale. Stir in the cream, then sift over the flour and gently stir in the ground almonds and the rest of the kirsch. Whisk the egg whites into soft peaks and gently fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter evenly over the cherries and bake on the top shelf of the oven for 20 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
- Gently reheat the cherry juice, then pour it into a small jug. Remove the clafoutis from the oven and dust well with icing sugar. Serve with the cherry juice poured over and some extra double cream on the side.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter