Christmas cranberry jam
- December 2013
- Hands-on time 5 min, cooking time 30 min
A simple festive preserve with a tangy flavour, this spiced cranberry jam makes a lovely homemade gift and goes brilliantly with Christmas turkey or ham.
- 5.4g (5.4g sugars)
- 1kg fresh or frozen cranberries
- 400g dark soft brown sugar
- Grated zest and juice of 1 big orange
- 1 cinnamon stick, plus 1 extra, broken into 3, for bottling
- 2 tsp rosewater
- Put all the ingredients in a large pan over a low heat to dissolve the sugar. Add a little water if it looks
too dry and stir gently as needed.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes until the cranberries have softened and formed a rich, thick jam.
- Spoon into 3 x 400g sterilised jars (see Know-how), adding a fresh piece of cinnamon stick to each one. Seal and keep chilled for up to 3 months.
Measure and cut out circles of patterned paper to cover the tops of the jar lids. Or, if you can find mini jam jars, decorate the lids with pretty fabric or paper, then put in an old egg box tied with ribbon.
To sterilise jars and lids, wash them in soapy water, rinse and leave to dry. Put them in the oven at 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 for 10 minutes, then remove and allow to cool before filling.
Rate & review