Cream, tomato and horseradish soup
- March 2004
- Serves 6
- Takes about 25 minutes
Try this version of a homemade cream of tomato soup. This easy recipe is made with horseradish – you’ll never buy a can of tomato soup again…
- Vegetarian recipes
- 50g butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of sugar
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp creamed horseradish
- 125ml whipping cream
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the onion and celery for about 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further few minutes. Add the tomatoes with the sugar, stock and a good pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes then liquidize.
- Stir in the horseradish and the cream and gently heat, taking care not to let the soup boil. Taste for seasoning.
This is based on good old-fashioned cream of tomato soup but it tastes a lot better than the canned variety. Make it the day before, then reheat and pour into a flask.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Creamy butternut squash and tomato soup
Smooth butternut squash soup is a delicious winter warmer and is suitable for vegetarians too....
Fresh tomato soup with basil oil
This fresh tomato soup recipe is a quick and easy lunch or starter, and is...