Crispy courgette chips
- September 2007
- Serves 4
- Ready in 15 minutes
Whether you call them fries, crisps or chips, you may find the humble courgette going up in your estimation when you try this quick and easy snack. They also make a great side dish to grilled sea bass.
If you have some flowers, then give these fried courgette flowers a go.
- 225g courgettes
- 1½ tbsp plain flour
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 tbsp finely grated Grana Padano cheese
- Slice the courgettes into 3mm thick x 7cm long chips. Put the flour in a bowl and beat in 50ml water to make a smooth, thick batter the consistency of soured cream.
- Half-fill a deep saucepan with oil. Place over a high heat until it reaches 180C (or until a cube of bread turns brown in 1 minute). Drop half the courgette chips into the batter and turn to coat. Using a fish slice, lift the courgette chips out of the batter and allow the excess to drip off.
- Carefully drop the courgette pieces into the hot oil and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the hot oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Toss with the cheese when still hot and add a good grinding of black pepper. Repeat with the remaining courgettes and serve immediately.
This recipe uses Grana Padano cheese which is a hard Italian cheese, similar to Parmesan. It’s non-vegetarian. To make this dish veggie, use a veggie cheese.
Watch the video recipe…
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...