Garlicky vegetable, bean and herb pot with parmesan toasts
- October 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 mins
This vegetarian recipe is quick and easy and is packed full of flavour.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 9.2g (1.8g saturated)
- 62.7g (17.7g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 150ml red wine
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock, hot
- 400g can flageolet beans, rinsed and drained (or use frozen, see opposite)
- 400g can borlotti beans, rinsed and drained
- Bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Bunch of fresh oregano leaves, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon, grated
- Slices of crusty bread, to serve
- 25g vegetarian Parmesan, grated, to serve
- Heat the oil in a casserole over a medium heat. Cook the carrots, celery, onion and leeks for 10 minutes, until softened. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Stir through the garlic, chopped tomatoes and stock. Season well and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the beans and cook for a further 5 minutes. Check the seasoning, then scatter over the fresh herbs and lemon zest.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium and lightly toast the bread slices. Top the toasts with the grated Parmesan and grill until bubbling.
- Divide the stew between plates and serve with the Parmesan toasts.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet potato recipes
Smoky bean and sweet potato tortillas with lime-pickled onions
Take your veggie Mexican night to new heights with these smoky bean and sweet potato...