Garlicky vegetable, bean and herb pot with parmesan toasts
- October 2008
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 150ml red wine
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock, hot
- 400g can flageolet beans, rinsed and drained (or use frozen, see opposite)
- 400g can borlotti beans, rinsed and drained
- Bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Bunch of fresh oregano leaves, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon, grated
- Slices of crusty bread, to serve
- 25g vegetarian Parmesan, grated, to serve
- Heat the oil in a casserole over a medium heat. Cook the carrots, celery, onion and leeks for 10 minutes, until softened. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Stir through the garlic, chopped tomatoes and stock. Season well and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the beans and cook for a further 5 minutes. Check the seasoning, then scatter over the fresh herbs and lemon zest.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium and lightly toast the bread slices. Top the toasts with the grated Parmesan and grill until bubbling.
- Divide the stew between plates and serve with the Parmesan toasts.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet potato recipes
Smoky bean and sweet potato tortillas with lime-pickled onions
Take your veggie Mexican night to new heights with these smoky bean and sweet potato...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...