Hot-smoked salmon kedgeree
- February 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 35 min
This kedgeree is made with hot-smoked salmon, but you could also try it with another fish such as flaked smoked haddock or smoked cod.
Or, for something a bit different, you could try this kedgeree made with tinned tuna.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 17.2g (6.9g saturated)
- 46g (1.2g sugars)
- 50g butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Seeds from 6 green cardamom pods
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp hot curry powder
- 5cm piece cinnamon stick
- 350g basmati rice
- 600ml light chicken stock, ideally fresh and not from a cube (see tip)
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3-4 medium free-range eggs
- 350g hot-smoked salmon, flaked into chunks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Melt half the butter in a 20cm heavy-based pan that has a lid, add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes until soft but not browned. Add the cardamom seeds, turmeric, curry powder and cinnamon stick, then cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice to the buttery onions and stir well. Add the stock, bay leaves and the salt. Bring to the boil, stir once, then cover with a well fitting lid and cook very gently over a low heat for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the eggs in boiling water for 8 minutes, then drain and leave to cool briefly. Peel, then cut into quarters.
- Uncover the rice and remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Gently fork in the hot-smoked salmon and quartered eggs, re-cover and cook over a low heat for a further 3-4 minutes until heated through.
- Melt the remaining butter. To serve, uncover the kedgeree, then fork through the lemon juice, chopped herbs, melted butter and seasoning to taste.
Smoked fish is quite salty, as are stock cubes, so it’s best to use fresh or homemade stock.
You can omit the hardboiled eggs and serve the kedgeree topped with warm, softly poached eggs instead
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...