Individual lemon meringue pies with a hint of orange
- August 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 40 minutes to cook, plus chilling
These delicious individual lemon meringue pies are a classic dessert. We’ve given them a hint of orange for an extra fruity kick.
- 18.4g (10.2g saturated)
- 99g (74.5g sugars)
- 250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 40g icing sugar
- 175g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- 3-4 tbsp iced water
For the filling:
- 400ml lemon juice (juice of 8-10 lemons)
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 75g cornflour
- 4 medium free-range egg yolks
- 250g caster sugar
For the meringue:
- 4 medium free-range egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- PLEASE NOTE Contains raw egg
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a large bowl with a pinch of salt. Rub the butter into the mixture with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs (alternatively, pulse in a food processor).
- Add the egg yolk and just enough water to bring the mixture together, mixing with a flat-bladed knife. Knead briefly, then shape into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Divide the pastry into 6 equal pieces, then roll out each one on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a pound coin. Use to line 6 x 10cm loose-bottomed fluted tart tins (you’ll have some pastry left over). Put on a baking sheet, line with baking paper and baking beans or rice, then chill for 15 minutes.
- Blind-bake for 10-12 minutes, then remove the baking beans/rice and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until lightly golden and dry to the touch. Set aside.
- Meanwhile make the filling. Put the lemon juice and orange zest in a saucepan, then whisk in the cornflour. Add 250ml water, then bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks and sugar, then return to the heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and pour into the tart shells.
- Turn the oven down to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2. To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a spotlessly clean bowl until they form stiff peaks. Whisk in the sugar 1 tbsp at a time until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Spoon the meringue onto the filled tart cases, making pretty spikes and swirls with the back of the spoon. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Serve warm or cold.
If you want to make a single big lemon meringue pie, use a 23cm fluted tart tin and cook the filled pie for an extra 10 minutes.
If you can’t fit all of the lemon filling into the tart cases, you can keep the leftovers for up to a week in a sealed jar in the fridge. It’s wonderful spread on buttered toast.
Rate & review