José Pizarro’s strawberry gazpacho
- Online only
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus overnight chilling.
Spanish chef José Pizarro says: “It is undeniable that gazpacho is one of the star dishes of Andalusia. When I travelled to Malaga, I discovered that they add fruits such as grapes and melon to make it more nutritious and complex in flavour. Strawberry gazpacho sounds like an unusual incarnation of the traditional recipe, but the berries are very popular in Huelva, and the result is just terrific.”
Looking for the traditional recipe? Here’s a gazpacho recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes.
- 300g vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 700g ripe strawberries, hulled and chopped, with a few reserved for garnish
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar, sliced
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 75ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 slices sourdough, cut into cubes
- Basil leaves to garnish
- In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, strawberries, red pepper, shallot, garlic and sherry vinegar and leave to infuse overnight.
- The next day, add the extra-virgin olive oil and whizz together with a hand blender or in a food processor until smooth, adding a splash of water if it’s too thick. Season to taste.
- Pour a little olive oil into a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the sourdough cubes for 4-5 minutes until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Divide the gazpacho between six soup bowls and garnish with basil leaves and sourdough croutons. Finish with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and some sea salt. Serve with a cold glass of amontillado or palo cortado sherry.
Andalusia is published by Hardie Grant (£26)
Recipes José Pizarro
Photographs Emma Lee
Food styling Aya Nishimura
Styling Tabitha Hawkins
Whizz the gazpacho up to a day ahead and keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter