- February 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook
This kedgeree will feed four for under around a fiver and makes a wonderful supper dish. It uses kippers (or you could use mackerel) instead of the more usual smoked haddock.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 17.3g (4g saturated)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 350g long grain rice, rinsed well under cold water
- 700ml vegetable stock
- ½ bunch of fresh coriander, stalks and leaves chopped separately
- 250g kippers or smoked mackerel, skin removed, flaked
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 3 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil and butter in a sauté pan, add the onion and soften over a low-medium heat for 10 minutes until just starting to colour. Add the turmeric and garam masala, stir, then cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the rice, pour over the stock, then season with a little salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the coriander stalks and flaked kippers or smoked mackerel, stir gently, then cover and return to a low heat for 5 minutes until cooked/warmed through. Taste and season.
- Meanwhile, soft-boil the eggs in a pan of boiling water for 6 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon, then peel and slice into quarters. Gently mix the yogurt and coriander leaves into the rice and top with the eggs. Serve with lemon wedges.
For a Spanish flavour, substitute 1 tsp smoked paprika for the garam masala and a mixture of fried chorizo and king prawns for the smoked fish.
Rate & review