- February 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook
This kedgeree will feed four for under around a fiver and makes a wonderful supper dish. It uses kippers (or you could use mackerel) instead of the more usual smoked haddock.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 17.3g (4g saturated)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 350g long grain rice, rinsed well under cold water
- 700ml vegetable stock
- ½ bunch of fresh coriander, stalks and leaves chopped separately
- 250g kippers or smoked mackerel, skin removed, flaked
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 3 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil and butter in a sauté pan, add the onion and soften over a low-medium heat for 10 minutes until just starting to colour. Add the turmeric and garam masala, stir, then cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the rice, pour over the stock, then season with a little salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the coriander stalks and flaked kippers or smoked mackerel, stir gently, then cover and return to a low heat for 5 minutes until cooked/warmed through. Taste and season.
- Meanwhile, soft-boil the eggs in a pan of boiling water for 6 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon, then peel and slice into quarters. Gently mix the yogurt and coriander leaves into the rice and top with the eggs. Serve with lemon wedges.
For a Spanish flavour, substitute 1 tsp smoked paprika for the garam masala and a mixture of fried chorizo and king prawns for the smoked fish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...