Mushroom and red onion toastie
- December 2021
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 15 min
If you’re feeling hungover, our mushroom toastie with red onions, cheddar and blue cheese is the best thing since sliced bread.
Our ultimate fry-up sandwich is stacked with bacon and oozy fried egg.
- 32.9g (8.8g sugars)
- Oil for frying
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 80g button mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
- A few thyme sprigs, leaves picked, plus extra to serve
- Knob of butter, plus extra for spreading
- 3 tsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 large slice sourdough bread
- 50g strong cheddar, grated (see Easy Swaps)
- 30g blue cheese, slice
- Add a splash of oil to a non-stick frying pan, then fry the onion with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, thyme and the knob of butter, then continue to fry, stirring every so often, until the mushrooms are golden brown. Season again with a little salt and add 2 tsp of the balsamic. Turn the heat down slightly and continue to fry for 2 minutes or so until the onions are nice and sticky. Stir in the remaining 1 tsp balsamic, then set aside in the pan to keep warm.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Toast the sourdough, then butter it and layer on the grated cheese. Put under the grill for 2-3 minutes until melted, then top with the sliced blue cheese and stick back under the grill for 1-2 minutes more until bubbling.
- Top with the mushrooms and onions, then serve scattered with a few more thyme sprigs.
Easy swaps: Use up odds and ends of whatever cheese you have to hand. Swap the onion and mushroom for leeks, spring onions or leftover roast vegetables.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...