Plum and ginger chutney
- September 2018
- Makes 2 x 500ml jars
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 2-2½ hours
Plums (or greengages), Bramley apples and fresh ginger are slowly cooked with aromatic spices in these gorgeous autumnal homemade chutney recipe.
Once your chutney is ready, use it in cheese sandwiches, served alongside a cheeseboard or in our fabulous cheese tart recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 9.9.g (9.8g sugars)
- 1.5kg plums (see tip)
- 2 bramley apples, peeled
- 3 onions
- 60g unpeeled fresh ginger
- 400ml cider vinegar
- 350g soft light brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 150g golden raisins
- 1 orange
- Seeds from 6 cardamom pods (see tip)
- 1 star anise
You’ll also need…
2 x 500ml jars with airtight lids, sterilised
- Halve the plums and remove the stones, then roughly chop. Finely chop the apples and onions. Chop the ginger into matchstick-size pieces.
- Put all the chopped fruit, onions and ginger in a large saucepan with the vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and raisins. Peel a couple of large strips of the orange zest, using a veg peeler, then add to the pan along with the orange juice. Lightly crush the cardamom seeds in a pestle and mortar (or in a small bowl) and add to the pan with the star anise.
- Give everything a good stir, put on a medium heat and bring to the boil. When it just starts to bubble, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 2-2½ hours, stirring occasionally. It’s ready when there is hardly any liquid in the pan and you have a rich, thick chutney. Pour it into the sterilised jars and seal.
This would also work well with greengages, if you can find them.
Gently bash the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar to crack open the shell. Using your fingertips, prise out the small black seeds from the husk.
Keep the chutney for up to 6 months in sealed, sterilised jars. Once opened, keep in the fridge and use within a month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...