Red cabbage slaw
- December 2019
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 10 min, plus pickling time
You can’t beat a side of cabbage slaw to brighten up the dinner table. This quick-to-make recipe is full of flavour, and makes the perfect side for any roast dinner. No buttermilk? You can use natural yoghurt with lemon – see the tip below.
Or, try this spiced red cabbage for a recipe with a bit of a kick.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 0.6g (0.1g saturated)
- 5.7g (5.2g sugars)
- 1 finely sliced red cabbage
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 200ml buttermilk (see tip)
- a handful each of roughly chopped flatleaf parsley and dill
- A pinch of caraway seeds
- Put 1 finely sliced red cabbage in a large bowl with 3 tbsp red wine vinegar and 1 tbsp sea salt. Toss, then set aside for 30 minutes to quick-pickle.
- Meanwhile, mix 200ml buttermilk (see tip) a handful each of roughly chopped flatleaf parsley and dill and a pinch of caraway seeds, toss with the cabbage, then season to taste (see Make Ahead).
Can’t find buttermilk? Mix 175ml natural yogurt with the juice of ½ lemon. Leave for 10 minutes to thicken.
Keep the slaw covered and chilled for up to 2 days. If the dressing turns a little watery, give it a good stir to combine.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Apple and fennel slaw
Fresh and crunchy coleslaw makes a perfect side to sandwiches, meats or savoury tarts. This...