Roast asparagus with feta
- May 2004
- Serves 2-4
- Takes 25 minutes to make
Can you roast asparagus? You can! In fact, roasting asparagus brings out their sweetness, making them the perfect pairing to super salty feta cheese. Or, if you like, try using cottage cheese, ricotta, goat’s cheese or mozzarella.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 24 spears asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- Generous fistful of roughly chopped mint, plus small leaves to garnish
- 2 tbsp capers, washed and squeezed dry
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 200g feta, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to its highest setting. Toss the asparagus, oil and salt in a mixing bowl and spread on a baking tray in a single layer. Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes. How well done you want it is up to you. The softer and wrinklier, the sweeter. Allow the asparagus to cool or dress it immediately. Scatter the other ingredients over it when it is still just about warm.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently combine the mint, capers and black pepper with just enough extra-virgin oil to make it look like a rough sauce. Let this fall over the asparagus. Squeeze on the lemon juice and sprinkle the mint leaves on top, then scatter with crumbled feta.
You don’t have to stick to feta for this recipe. Cottage cheese, ricotta, young goat’s cheese or mozzarella work just as well.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Asparagus and pancetta soldiers with soft-boiled eggs
Swap toast soldiers for pancetta-wrapped asparagus in this easy low-carb breakfast recipe, that’s ready in...