Roasted potato and black pepper cakes
- December 2011
- Serves 2
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
This impressive potato side dish recipe is simple to make and will make a lovely accompaniment for your Christmas lunch.
- 10.5g (6.5g saturated)
- 20.2g (0.8g sugars)
- 250g small floury potatoes (such as king edward), cut into 3-4mm slices
- 25g butter
- Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes until just tender. Drain well. Preheat the oven with a baking sheet inside to 230°C/fan210°C/gas 8.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Brush 2 x 120ml ramekins (7cm across the base) with melted butter and neatly overlap a few potato slices to cover the base of each ramekin. Brush with butter, then season with a little salt and plenty of coarsely ground black pepper. Repeat, pressing each layer down so the slices lay flat and fill the gaps (don’t worry if they break up a little) until the ramekins are full. Brush the top liberally with butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then turn the heat down to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 and bake for 10 minutes until crisp and golden. Run a knife around the edge of each cake, turn out and serve.
Make up to the end of step 2, then chill, covered, for up to 24 hours before baking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
A simple French dish that amounts to indulgent cheesy potatoes. They go beautifully with a...