Roasted potato and black pepper cakes
- December 2011
- Serves 2
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
This impressive potato side dish recipe is simple to make and will make a lovely accompaniment to an intimate Christmas lunch for two.
Create a festive menu to share with someone special with our Christmas recipes for two.
- 10.5g (6.5g saturated)
- 20.2g (0.8g sugars)
- 250g small floury potatoes (such as king edward), cut into 3-4mm slices
- 25g butter
- Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes until just tender. Drain well. Preheat the oven with a baking sheet inside to 230°C/fan210°C/gas 8.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Brush 2 x 120ml ramekins (7cm across the base) with melted butter and neatly overlap a few potato slices to cover the base of each ramekin. Brush with butter, then season with a little salt and plenty of coarsely ground black pepper. Repeat, pressing each layer down so the slices lay flat and fill the gaps (don’t worry if they break up a little) until the ramekins are full. Brush the top liberally with butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then turn the heat down to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 and bake for 10 minutes until crisp and golden. Run a knife around the edge of each cake, turn out and serve.
Make up to the end of step 2, then chill, covered, for up to 24 hours before baking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...