Vegan hot dogs
- July 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Serve up the ultimate meat-free BBQ feast with our easy vegan hot dogs recipe. Load hot dog buns with vegan sausages and chargrilled veg.
Firing up the grill? Get more recipe inspiration with our alternative barbecue recipes.
- Vegan recipes
- 16.5g (6.3g saturated)
- 46g (14.5g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bushy rosemary sprig, leaves picked and chopped
- 3-4 medium carrots, halved (or 6-8 baby carrots, whole)
- 4 spring onions or 1 red onion, cut into 4 thick rings
- 4 vegan hot dogs or 8 vegan chipolatas (we used Moving Mountains plant based hot dogs, from Sainsbury’s and Waitrose)
- 2 corn cobs
- 4 tbsp tomato chutney
- Handful basil leaves, mostly torn, plus a few extra whole to serve
- 4 sub rolls
- Mayonnaise (optional – vegan if it needs to be), gherkins and mixed salad leaves to serve
You will also need
- Barbecue with a lid (or ridged griddle pan)
- Heat/light the barbecue and spread the coals in an even layer. Mix the oil with the rosemary and salt and pepper in a bowl, then brush over the carrots, spring onions, vegan hot dogs and corn. Put the carrots on the grill and cook with the lid down for 10 minutes, turning from time to time. Add the corn cobs, onions and sausages, then cook for 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until everything is tender.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the corn off the cobs, then mix in a bowl with the tomato chutney and the torn basil. Season to taste. Put the sub rolls on the barbecue to warm, then split down the middle and add some sweetcorn relish and mayo (if using).
- Fill each roll with the hotdogs and grilled veg, then top with more sweetcorn relish and some extra basil leaves. Serve with gherkins, extra mayo and salad leaves.
Flavour boost: Add some sauerkraut, briefly tossing it in a very hot pan to warm and scorch.
Skip the BBQ: Heat a griddle pan, then cook the carrots for 10 minutes, turning. Add the spring onions, corn and hot dogs for 10-15 minutes until charred and tender.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Hot dogs with spiced onions
Meltingly soft spiced onions add a bit of a kick to this simple hot dog...