Vegetarian shepherd’s pie
- December 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 30 min
This hearty vegetarian shepherd’s pie alternative is quick and easy. Make extra and store the leftovers in your freezer ready for a lazy day.
- 32.8g (3.6g saturated)
- 61.5g (16.9 sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 200g carrots, finely chopped
- 5 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 250g pack cooked puy lentils
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 150g sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Handful fresh oregano, leaves finely chopped
- 800g ready-made or leftover mashed potato
To finish (optional)
- Grated cheddar
You’ll also need
- 1.5 litre baking dish or 4 x 350ml individual dishes
- Heat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas 6. Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan and fry the onions, carrots and celery over a medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes until softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lentils, chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes and oregano season, then take off the heat. Pour into the baking dish(es) and top with mashed potato. Swirl the mash on top into peaks and sprinkle over a handful of cheddar (if using). Bake for 30 minutes until lightly golden and bubbling.
Make a double batch and freeze half, well wrapped.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...