Wheat berry, broad bean, rocket and chorizo salad
- September 2013
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 minutes, cooking time 40 minutes
Bulking out this Mediterranean-style salad with healthy grains means Gillie James’ salad recipe is filling enough for lunch or dinner. If you can’t find wheat berries, cooked couscous, bulgur wheat, quinoa or rice all work well.
- 19.5g (6g saturated)
- 50.4g (6.9g sugars)
- 200g wheat or rye berries (we like Merchant Gourmet)
- 350g asparagus (about 12 fat stems), trimmed and cut into 7cm lengths
- 300g broad beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g cooking chorizo, thinly sliced (we like Unearthed)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 100g rocket
- Wash and cook the wheat or rye berries in boiling water according to the packet instructions, then drain. When the berries are almost cooked, blanch the asparagus and broad beans in a medium pan of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool a little, then pod the broad beans and transfer to a large bowl with the asparagus and drained berries.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chorizo until crisp. Remove the pan from the heat, add the onion, tomatoes and a good grinding of pepper, then toss. Add most of the lemon juice, then transfer to the bowl with the berries and veg.
- Add the rocket to the bowl and toss together. Taste for seasoning, adding a little extra lemon juice if needed, then serve.
You can buy wheat or rye berries from good health food shops. But if you can’t find them, cooked couscous, bulgur wheat, quinoa or rice all work well.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fennel and broad bean salad with hazelnuts and feta
A fresh, light summer salad recipe made with fennel, green beans, broad beans and crispy...
Goat’s cheese, broad bean, lemon and lentil salad
Use pre-cooked lentils, frozen broad beans and jarred red peppers make this herby goat’s cheese...