Berry and frangipane galette
- July 2021
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 20 min
Make a crowd-pleasing dessert on the BBQ. Grill our easy berry and frangipane galette with almond spelt pastry and serve with scoops of vanilla ice cream.
Rustic galettes are a simple way to showcase ripe summer fruits. Try our blueberry galette recipe next.
- 37.6g (17g saturated)
- 47.9g (24.1g sugars)
- 90g unsalted butter, very soft
- 90g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 90g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 250g raspberries, plus extra to serve
- 250g blueberries, plus extra to serve
- 2-3 lemon thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1-2 tbsp flaked almonds
- Icing sugar to serve
- Vanilla ice cream to serve
For the pastry
- 150g wholemeal spelt flour
- 100g plain white flour
- 50g roasted almonds
- ½ tsp salt
- 150g unsalted butter, chilled, cubed
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 5-7 tbsp ice-cold water
- Milk for brushing
You’ll also need
- Food processor
- BBQ with a lid
- 30cm cast-iron skillet/pizza stone/heavy baking sheet
- Baking sheet lined with compostable baking paper
Useful to have
- Electric hand mixer
- For the pastry, put the flours, almonds and salt in a food processor and whizz until the nuts are finely chopped. Add the butter and sugar, then whizz again until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. With the motor running, add just enough iced water for the mix to come together (you may not need it all). Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and bring together into a ball, flatten slightly, wrap and chill for 30 minutes (see Make Ahead).
- For the frangipane, beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. Stir in the lemon zest, ground almonds, plain flour and spices until just combined.
- Heat/light the barbecue for medium indirect heat (bank the coals to one side). Twenty minutes before assembling the tart, put the skillet/pizza stone/ baking tray on the BBQ with the lid down. Roll out the chilled pastry to a rough 35cm circle and put on the lined baking sheet. Spread the frangipane over the pastry, leaving a 3-4cm border. Scatter over the berries and lemon thyme, pressing the berries gently into the frangipane. Fold the pastry edges over to slightly enclose the filling (it may crack a little but don’t worry, just push it back together – the rustic look is part of the charm).
- Brush the folded-over pastry with a little milk, then sprinkle the demerara sugar and flaked almonds all over the galette. Trim the baking paper about 4cm wider than the galette, then open the BBQ lid and slide the paper and tart onto the skillet/ stone/tray. Cook, lid down, for 50-60 minutes until puffed and golden (see Know-how).
- Remove the galette and cool slightly. Serve dusted with icing sugar, with ice cream and berries.
Don’t want to BBQ? Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6. Put the skillet/stone/tray in the oven to heat for 15 minutes, slide on the galette, then bake for 35-40 minutes.
Easy swaps Use any combination of berries you fancy here. Swap the ground almonds in the frangipane for ground hazelnuts or pistachios, and switch the spices for your favourites – nutmeg, allspice and cardamom all work well.
Wrap the pastry well and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight before rolling
The spelt flour in the pastry gives it a flaky finish and adds a nutty note that goes well with almonds. Find it in larger supermarkets and health food stores.
Rate & review