Cauliflower, white bean and yuzu soup
- January 2024
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min. Oven time 33-35 min
The unique zingy sweetness of Japanese yuzu juice gives this cauliflower soup a bright lift of acidity without too much sourness. The velvety texture is down to the beans, and every part of the cauliflower is used.
If you can’t resist the pairing of cauliflower and cheese, try our cauliflower soup with cheese croutons.
- 10g (1.2g saturated)
- 40g (7.9g sugars)
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 30g skin-on almonds
- 600g jar white beans (butter, cannellini or similar)
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp yuzu juice (see Easy Swaps)
- Heat the oven to 180°C fan/gas 6. Separate the leaves from the cauliflower and cut the florets into 3-4cm chunks, spreading them out on a baking tray as you work. Chop the central stalk into similar sized chunks and add to the tray too. Strip the leaves from their stems (reserving the leaves), halve the
stems and add them to the tray. Season, drizzle with half the oil, then roast for 25 minutes.
- Spread out the reserved leaves on another roasting tray, season, then drizzle with the remaining oil. Put the almonds on one side of this tray. Once the cauliflower florets have had 25 minutes, give them a stir, then put both trays in the oven and roast for 8-10 minutes until the cauliflower and leaves are golden and the nuts are toasted.
- Put the florets in a blender and add the beans (including their liquid), stock and a pinch of salt. Whizz until very smooth. Season and add a little water if needed to reach a soupy consistency.
- Heat the soup through in a pan, then add the yuzu juice. Roughly chop the toasted almonds. Serve the soup topped with the roasted leaves, almonds, a good drizzle of oil and plenty of black pepper.
Easy swaps You can find yuzu juice in bottles at Waitrose or on Ocado – but lemon juice will work too
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower cheese soup with mustard seed and cheddar scones
Debbie Major packs all the flavour of a cauliflower cheese...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter