Classic beef gravy
- March 2009
- The fat and juices from a beef roast
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Fresh herbs such as fresh rosemary and bay leaves
- 400-500ml beef stock
- Set a roasted joint of meat aside. Pour the fat and juices from the roasting tin into a jug and allow to settle and separate, then spoon 2 tbsp of the fat back into the roasting tin. Discard the remaining fat, so that you are left with just the pan juices.
- Add plain flour and herbs to the roasting tin. Use a wooden spoon to briskly mix it with the fat over a medium heat for a few minutes until you have a smooth brown paste, then stir in the pan juices.
- Gradually add beef stock, stirring for 3-4 minutes until thickened. Season, pour in the juices from the resting meat, then strain through a sieve into a jug.
See our How To make gravy feature for tips.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
If you’re having a roast or Christmas lunch, you’ve just got to have home-made gravy,...