Easy jacket potatoes with smoky beans
- May 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 1 hour 15 min
A golden-skinned, fluffy jacket potato topped with easy homemade beans and melted cheese is the best of budget cooking.
Jazz up your jackets with more baked potato fillings.
- 18.4g fat (5.9g saturated)
- 78.4g (13.2g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g British free-range smoked streaky bacon, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 x 400g tins haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Grated cheddar, to serve
- Heat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C fan/gas 7. Wash the potatoes, prick all over with a fork, sprinkle with salt, then bake for 1-1¼ hours until golden with a crisp skin.
- Meanwhile, in a medium lidded pan, heat the oil and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add the bacon and fry until golden. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, apart from the cheddar. Put the lid on and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, split open , then top with the smoky baked beans and a scattering of grated cheddar to serve.
Make 4 indentations in the cooking beans. Crack an egg into each one, then cook with the lid on until set but still runny. Serve with sourdough bread instead of potatoes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...