Fish pie with almonds
- August 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to cook
This fish pie recipe is topped with flaked almonds to give the dish a nutty crunch
- 71.1g (35.7g saturated)
- 21.2g (7.8g sugar)
- Knob of butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- 300ml double cream
- 300ml whole milk
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 100g finely grated parmesan
- Large handful of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 225g smoked un-dyed haddock fillet, skinned, pin-boned (use tweezers) and cut into large chunks
- 300g salmon fillet, skinned, pin-boned and cut into large chunks
- 150g large raw prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 25g flaked almonds
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat the butter and 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan. Fry the leek for 5 minutes until golden and softened, adding the spring onion for the final 2 minutes.
- Add the cream, milk, lemon zest and juice. Season with black pepper, bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and stir through 75g of the parmesan and half the chopped parsley.
- Spoon the fish and prawns evenly into a shallow 1.8 litre ovenproof dish (about 28cm x 21cm x 5cm). Pour over the cheesy leek sauce.
- Make the topping by mixing the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the flaked almonds and the remaining parmesan, oil and parsley. Spoon over the filling. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the topping is golden. Serve with green beans or a crisp green salad, if you like.
Rate & review