- February 2022
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus oven time 5-6 minutes
Lacy buckwheat pancakes are baked with spinach, mushrooms and cheese to make spectacular galettes. A pancake recipe filling enough for dinner.
Love a savoury pancake? Our seriously cheesy pancakes with ham and leeks will hit the spot.
- 21.1g (10.5g saturated)
- 18.4g (3.1g sugars)
- 75g buckwheat flour
- 5 medium free-range eggs
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 20g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- Splash olive oil
- 300g baby mushrooms, halved
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 thyme sprig, leaves stripped, plus extra to garnish
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- Finely grated zest ½ lemon
- 100g gruyère or a vegetarian alternative, grated
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6. Put the flour in a bowl and whisk in 1 egg, milk and a pinch of salt. Heat a large non-stick pan over a medium-high heat and lightly grease with butter. Add a ladleful of batter (about ¼ of the mixture), swirling the pan to form a large, thin pancake the diameter of the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the edges of the pancake begin to curl and the underside is golden, then flip and cook for a further 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter, setting the pancakes aside in a pile on a plate.
- In a separate pan, melt the 20g butter with a splash of olive oil. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and cook for 5-6 minutes until tender and golden. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another minute, then add the spinach and lemon zest and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Put the pancakes on 2 large baking sheets, then divide most of the cheese among them. Top with the mushroom/spinach mixture, then make a space in the middle of each and crack an egg into it. Fold in the edges of each pancake to partially enclose the filling, leaving a gap around the yolk. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese, then bake for 5-6 minutes until crisp, the egg whites are set and the yolks are done to your liking. Sprinkle with extra thyme and serve straightaway with a green salad.
The pancakes can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cool, then keep chilled in a sealed container between layers of baking paper until ready to use.
Galettes are buckwheat pancakes, usually made with a savoury filling.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tenderstem and spring onion galettes with goat’s cheese
This open-face style tart recipe is called a galette. It’s...
Savoury pancake recipes
Wholemeal galettes with brussels sprouts, mushrooms, ham and cheese
These gorgeous galettes use wholemeal flour for an extra fibre...
Savoury pancake recipes
Spinach and ricotta pancakes with spicy red pepper sauce
This savoury recipe sees thin crêpes stuffed with spinach and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter