Roast squash, freekeh and feta salad
- April 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 40 min
Caramelised roasted squash, nutty freekeh and tangy feta make this a main-meal salad that will keep you feeling full – without the meat.
Cooked too much freekeh? Find out what to do with this leftover grain.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 35.4g (10.1g saturated)
- 54.3g (25g sugars)
- 1 butternut squash (about 1.2kg), cut into 2.5cm thick wedges, then halved or cut into 10cm lengths
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 50g walnut halves
- 50g pitted medjool dates, roughly chopped
- 50g mixed fresh herbs (such as parsley, mint, coriander and dill), ⅓ chopped,
the rest leaves picked
- 250g pouch cooked freekeh (we used Merchant Gourmet)
- 1 gem lettuce, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthways, deseeded, then sliced into half-moons
- 200g feta cheese
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the squash with a drizzle of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then spread over 2 baking trays in a single layer. Roast for 40 minutes until golden and tender. Add the walnuts to one of the trays for the final 5 minutes to lightly toast. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, mash the dates and the chopped herbs with 4 tbsp olive oil in a pestle and mortar (or in a bowl using the back of a fork) to make the dressing.
- Toss the freekeh with the squash and walnuts, then tip onto a serving platter with the lettuce and cucumber. Crumble over the feta, drizzle with the dressing and gently toss to coat. Scatter over the herb leaves and pomegranate seeds, then serve.
For extra tang, add 4 sliced preserved lemons (pith discarded) or a squeeze
of lemon juice to the dressing.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast sausage and spiced squash salad
This inexpensive and warming sausage and butternut squash salad recipe is perfect for family meals.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...