Shiitake mushroom and chestnut risotto
- January 2013
- Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot, or similar, made up to 1 litre with boiling water
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 125g pack Tesco Finest shiitake mushrooms, or similar, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g risotto rice
- Splash of dry white wine
- 200g jar Tesco Finest whole chestnuts, or similar, roughly chopped
- 25g vegetarian parmesan, finely grated
- Put the stock in a small saucepan over a low heat and leave to simmer gently. Put a sauté pan over a medium heat and melt the butter, then add the onion and cook until soft. Add the mushrooms and garlic to the sauté pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the rice to the sauté pan, stirring to coat in the juices, and cook until the edges are translucent. Pour in the wine and bubble for a minute, then add the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring between each addition and ensuring the stock has been absorbed before adding more.
- When you have about a third of the stock left, add the chestnuts. Keep adding stock and stirring until the rice is cooked but still retains some bite – you may not need all the stock, or you may need to top it up a little. Stir through most of the parmesan, season, then serve with the remaining parmesan.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter