Smoky vegan chilli
- January 2022
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus simmering time 30 min
Serve up a smoky vegan chilli with our easy recipe. This plant-based chilli is packed with aubergine and black beans plus a hint of chipotle.
Give our veggie chilli with nachos a whirl, too.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 7.2g (2.2g saturated)
- 16.9g (12.7g sugars)
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2-3 tbsp chipotle chilli paste
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 300ml veg stock
- 50g dark chocolate
- Nachos/rice, avocado and sliced pink pickled onions (shop-bought is fine) to serve
- Cook the aubergine under a hot grill for 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes until blackened and softened. Leave to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, non-stick casserole. Add the onion and peppers and fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ground spices and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the chilli paste, tomatoes, black beans, vinegar and stock, then season.
- Use a spoon to scoop the aubergine flesh out of its skin in nuggets, then add them to the pan. Stir, then cook uncovered over a low heat for 30 minutes. Stir in the chocolate and season to taste with salt.
- Serve the chilli with nachos or rice, topped with avocado andpickled onions, if you like.
For less heat, use less chipotle paste or swap for ancho chilli paste and add a little extra smoked paprika. Dark chocolate adds a complex richness to the flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...