Blueberry, lemon curd and brioche bread-and-butter pudding
- August 2015
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 30 min
A light and airy, summery bread and butter pudding recipe made with brioche, blueberries and lemon curd.
Looking for the classic recipe? Here’s our fail-safe bread and butter pudding.
- 35.4g (20.7g saturated)
- 36.4g (19.1g sugars)
- 1 small, fresh, tin-shaped brioche loaf (you’ll use about 200g)
- 30g butter, softened
- 6 tbsp good quality lemon curd
- 150g fresh blueberries
- 250ml creamy milk (I like gold top)
- 250ml double cream, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 25g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest 1 small lemon, plus 1 tbsp juice
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/ gas 5. Cut the end crust off the brioche loaf, then slice 7 x 7-8mm- thick slices from the brioche (about 200g in total). Cut off and discard the crusts (or save for breadcrumbs). Spread the slices with the butter and lemon curd, then quarter diagonally into 4 triangles.
- Lay half the brioche triangles over the base of a 1.5 litre x 6cm deep ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over half the blueberries, then cover with the rest of the triangles, spread-side up, overlapping if necessary. Scatter over the rest of the blueberries.
- Whisk the milk, cream, eggs, sugar, lemon zest and juice together in a bowl. Pour it over the top of the brioche and leave to soak for 5 minutes, pushing the top layer down into the liquid now and then so it soaks up the eggy mixture.
- Put the dish into a small deep roasting tin and pour enough just-boiled water into the tin to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 30 minutes until puffed and golden. Remove from the oven and the tin. Rest for 2 minutes, then serve warm, dusted with icing sugar, with a little extra cream if you wish.
Debbie says “Good bread and butter pudding should be light and airy with thinly cut bread suspended in a gently set egg custard. Too much bread makes it heavy”
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...