Speedy smoked mackerel and tomato pasta
- January 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
“This small serving of mackerel gives almost 5mcg of vitamin D, which represents half the daily goal for adults.” – Amanda Ursell, nutritionist.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 22.2g (4.1g saturated)
- 62.7g (7.7g sugars)
- Pinch chilli flakes, optional
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 75g mixed pitted olives, roughly sliced
- 1 tbsp capers in brine, drained
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200ml dry white wine (or stock)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 350-400g wholewheat pasta
- 230g smoked mackerel fillets, flaked
- Chopped fresh parsley and lemon wedges to serve
- Warm the oil in a large non-stick frying pan with the chilli flakes, garlic and olives for 1-2 minutes. Add the capers and tomato purée, pour in the wine and bring up to a simmer, then stir in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente according to the packet instructions. Drain loosely, saving a cupful of the cooking water.
- Once the sauce has thickened, stir in the mackerel and heat for a couple of minutes to warm through, then stir in the pasta with a splash of the cooking water and toss well to mix. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
If you prefer, omit the wine (or stock) and tomato purée and add a second can of tomatoes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy chicken recipes
Easy walnut and oat crusted chicken with peperonata
Think chicken schnitzel then double the crunch factor – this nutty, oaty chicken served with...