Vietnamese-style crispy tofu bowl
- September 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Crispy nuggets of tofu are served with chilli rice noodles and plenty of veg in this clean-tasting Vietnamese-inspired bowlful.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 14.1g (6.1g saturated)
- 48g (7.2g sugars)
- 125g rice noodles
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce of your choice
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lime
- 1 banana shallot, sliced into rings
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp flaked sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 280g block extra-firm tofu, cut into 0.5cm slices
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 carrot, sliced into thin strips (use a julienne peeler, if you have one)
- ¼ cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- Small handful fresh mint leaves
- Small handful toasted peanuts
- Put the noodles in a heatproof bowl, cover with freshly boiled water and leave for 2 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water. In a small bowl, combine the chilli sauce and lime zest and juice, pour half over the noodles and mix to coat.
- In a small bowl toss the shallot with 1 tsp cornflour. In a separate bowl mix the rest of the cornflour with the salt and pepper, then add the tofu and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a frying pan until hot and fry the shallot for 5-10 minutes until crisp. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper (or see tip).
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and fry the tofu, in batches, for 2 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
- To serve, divide the noodles, shallot, fried tofu, carrot, cucumber, mint leaves and peanuts between 2 bowls and pour over the remaining dressing.
If you don’t want to fry the shallots you can buy ready-cooked crispy shallots from Waitrose and Sainsbury’s.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Green noodle and tofu salad with ginger and tamari dressing
Change up your salad game with this Asian-inspired recipe. On the table and ready to...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...