Vietnamese-style crispy tofu bowl
- September 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Crispy nuggets of tofu are served with chilli rice noodles and plenty of veg in this clean-tasting Vietnamese-inspired bowlful.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 14.1g (6.1g saturated)
- 48g (7.2g sugars)
- 125g rice noodles
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce of your choice
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lime
- 1 banana shallot, sliced into rings
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp flaked sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 280g block extra-firm tofu, cut into 0.5cm slices
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 carrot, sliced into thin strips (use a julienne peeler, if you have one)
- ¼ cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- Small handful fresh mint leaves
- Small handful toasted peanuts
- Put the noodles in a heatproof bowl, cover with freshly boiled water and leave for 2 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water. In a small bowl, combine the chilli sauce and lime zest and juice, pour half over the noodles and mix to coat.
- In a small bowl toss the shallot with 1 tsp cornflour. In a separate bowl mix the rest of the cornflour with the salt and pepper, then add the tofu and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a frying pan until hot and fry the shallot for 5-10 minutes until crisp. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper (or see tip).
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and fry the tofu, in batches, for 2 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
- To serve, divide the noodles, shallot, fried tofu, carrot, cucumber, mint leaves and peanuts between 2 bowls and pour over the remaining dressing.
If you don’t want to fry the shallots you can buy ready-cooked crispy shallots from Waitrose and Sainsbury’s.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Green noodle and tofu salad with ginger and tamari dressing
Change up your salad game with this Asian-inspired recipe. On the table and ready to...