200g (1 whole or 2 fillets) hot-smoked mackerel
2.5-5cm piece horseradish root
or 1-2 tbsp creamed horseradish
50g unsalted butter, softened
100g crème fraîche or soured cream
Juice of 1 lemon
French bread slices, toasted (optional), to serve
½ cucumber, sliced, to garnish (optional)
1. Peel and flake the mackerel, being careful to remove any bones if you are using the whole fish. Peel and finely grate the horseradish. If you are new to this job, do it by an open window. It’s strong stuff.
2. The best tool for this pâté is a food processor but you could also mash it with a fork. Blitz or mash the fish, horseradish, butter, crème fraîche and lemon juice to a rough paste.
3. Allow the mix to cool and ‘set’ in the fridge for an hour or so before serving on buttered toast or bread.
4. The best garnish for this pâté is cucumber, without doubt – I’ve used fresh, but you could also try pickled cucumber.
- Portuguese Vinho Verde is surprisingly good with this – but make sure you pick a dry, modern style and chill it well.