- January 2005
- Makes 20
- Takes 30 min
These anchovy straws are a simple and quick dish that are perfect as a cocktail party canapé.
- 375g sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 x 114g can of good-quality anchovy fillets in extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of black mustard seeds or furikake seeds (available from Sainsbury’s)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Unroll a 375g sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry (keep it on its plastic lining). Fold the pastry in half lengthways and cut along the fold. Cut each piece into 30 x 1cm strips and brush with lightly beaten egg.
- Drain a 114g can of good-quality anchovy fillets in extra-virgin olive oil. Cut each fillet into 4 slim lengthways strips and put 1 on top of each piece of pastry. Twist each anchovy and pastry strip and space apart on 2 baking sheets lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of black mustard seeds or furikake seeds
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until crisp and golden and serve
If you don’t tell people they are eating anchovies they really love this dish (obviously tell the veggies!)
Rate & review