Balsamic roasted carrots and buffalo mozzarella
- May 2015
- Serves 4 as a starter or light lunch
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 20-25 min
Carrots are roasted with balsamic vinegar until sticky and sweet, then paired with creamy buffalo mozzarella and a sprinkling of roasted almonds in this easy vegetarian starter.
Love this idea? Check out our recipe for balsamic and brown sugar roasted carrots, too.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 34g (10.7g saturated)
- 9.4g (8.4g sugars)
- 400g baby carrots, unpeeled
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze, plus extra to drizzle
- 100g blanched almonds
- 2 x 125g balls buffalo mozzarella, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp each coriander and fennel seeds, toasted for 1-2 minutes in a dry frying pan until fragrant
- 2 big handfuls salad leaves and a few basil leaves to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the carrots with the olive oil and some seasoning, spread out in a roasting tin, then roast for 20-25 minutes. Around 8-10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the balsamic vinegar/glaze and almonds, and toss together. Continue cooking until the carrots are caramelised and sticky an the almonds are a light golden brown. Allow to cool a little, then divide among plates.
- Tear the mozzarella balls into halves and sit each half on top of the carrots. Roughly crush the coriander and fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar and scatter over the halved cheeses. Drizzle over more olive oil and balsamic vinegar/ glaze, then scatter with the salad and basil leaves and serve.
You can roast the carrots and almonds up to 6 hours in advance. Keep them somewhere cool or in the fridge, but bring back to room temperature to serve, or warm through in the oven before assembling the salad, if you have time.
Rate & review