Red cabbage, quinoa and avocado salad with peanut pesto
- March 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
This vibrant vegan salad makes an exciting take-to-work lunch or colourful side dish. It’s a textured mix of crunchy red cabbage, nutty quinoa and creamy avocado, all drizzled in a herby peanut pesto.
- Vegan recipes
- 29.5g (5g saturated)
- 33.1g (7.8g sugars)
- ½ red cabbage, thick core removed, then finely sliced
- Grated zest 2 limes, juice 4 limes
- 20g fresh coriander
- 10g fresh mint
- 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 50g unsalted peanuts
- 2.5cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 250g pouch cooked quinoa, heated according to the pack instructions (check it’s gluten-free if need be)
- 200g edamame beans, defrosted if frozen
- ½-1 red chilli, chopped (to taste)
- 60g baby leaf spinach
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped or sliced
- Toss the sliced red cabbage in a large bowl with the zest and juice of 2 limes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to soften.
- Meanwhile, whizz the herbs (reserve some coriander leaves), tamari, most of the peanuts, the ginger, garlic, both oils and the juice of 2 limes in a small food processor to a pesto consistency. (If you don’t have a mini food processor, finely chop by hand, then mix in a bowl.)
- Toss the quinoa with the red cabbage, then toss with the edamame beans, chilli and most of the peanut pesto until combined.
- To serve, toss with the spinach, spring onions and avocado, then sprinkle with the reserved coriander and peanuts and drizzle with the rest of the peanut pesto.
Make the salad up to the end of step 2 a day ahead. Continue from step 3.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy warm roast cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa salad
Make the most of winter vegetables in this warming cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa recipe....
Warm quinoa salad with broad beans and pomegranate
Top this Middle Eastern-style quinoa salad, by vegetarian cookery book writer Rose Eliot, with halloumi,...