- January 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20-25 minutes to cook
These creamy vegetarian mushroom tarts are great for a light lunch, as a starter, or as part of a buffet.
- 21.9g (12.6g saturated)
- 3.4g (0.9g sugar)
For 1 tartlet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Good knob of butter, plus extra for brushing
- 400g mixed mushrooms, such as chestnut, oyster and portobello, cleaned and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped, plus extra to decorate
- 150g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 1 large free-range egg, plus 2 yolks
- 200ml double cream
- 150ml crème fraîche
- Splash of truffle-infused oil (optional, available from major supermarkets)
- 5 large sheets of filo pastry, each cut into 8 strips about 10cm x 15cm
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat until foaming, then add the mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Fry quickly until the mushrooms are cooked, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in half the goat’s cheese. In a jug, beat together the egg, egg yolks, cream and crème fraîche. Add the truffle oil (if using) and season well.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Melt the extra butter, then use to brush the pastry all over. Place 3 strips of filo into each of the holes of a 12-hole muffin tin, overlapping them so the base and sides are completely covered.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture into the tart cases and pour over the egg and cream mixture. Sprinkle over the remaining goat’s cheese and thyme sprigs, then bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and set. Remove from the tins and serve warm.
Filo pastry sheets vary in size, so you may need a few more sheets than stated here.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Filo pastry recipes
Caramelised onion, spinach and goat’s cheese filo pie
Layers of crisp filo pastry sandwiching together a delicious mixture of caramelised onion, spinach and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...