Pancakes with za’atar fried eggs
- January 2023
- Makes 4 large pancakes
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus at least 20 minutes resting
A fried egg is a beautiful thing – but frying it in something more flavourful than oil gives it a whole new flavour profile. We’ve chosen the nutty, herby flavour of za’atar here, which infuses the oil and creates a crunchy sesame seed skirt around the eggs as they cook, making them a perfect (and dead simple) filling for pancakes.
Discover all of our pancake recipes here.
- 15.1g (3.8g saturated)
- 27.8g (3.3g sugars)
For the pancakes
- 125g plain flour
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 275-300ml semi-skimmed milk
- Vegetable oil to fry
For the filling
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp za’atar
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- To make the pancake batter, put the flour and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre, pour in the egg and whisk, gradually adding the milk as you go. You’re after a smooth batter that’s the consistency of single cream. Cover and leave to rest in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Put a wide frying pan over a medium heat and give your rested pancake batter a quick whisk. Use a piece of kitchen paper to wipe a splash of vegetable oil all over the pan, then add a quarter of the pancake batter, swirling the pan to create an even, thin crepe-style pancake. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then loosen the edges with a thin spatula or palette knife and carefully flip. Cook for another minute. Slide the pancake onto a plate and repeat to create a total of 4 pancakes.
- Meanwhile, put a separate frying pan over a medium heat. Add the oil followed by the za’atar and cook for 1 minute until sizzling and fragrant. Crack in the eggs and fry for 2 minutes, using a small spoon to scoop the za’atar and oil onto the whites of the eggs as they fry.
- Put a pancake on each serving plate and top with an egg, drizzling over the remaining za’atar oil in the pan.
Swap the za’atar out for ‘nduja for a meatier, more fiery flavour. Add fried mushrooms and wilted spinach for a more substantial dish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy salad recipes
Warm za’atar-spiced cauliflower, red onion and rice salad
Discover the power of za’atar in this spiced vegetarian salad,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter