Sprouts and roasted carrots with butter and macadamia nuts
- December 2012
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 45 min
Fry off your brussels sprouts with carrots and macadamia nuts and watch everyone at the table wolf them down. A Christmas dinner winner.
Looking for more Christmas side dishes that make life a bit easier? Try these glazed roasted carrots and parsnips.
- 11.4g (3.7g saturated)
- 6.5g (5.4g sugars)
- 500g chantenay carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 40g butter
- 50g macadamia nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the carrots and olive oil in a roasting tin. Season and toss, then roast for 30-40 minutes until tender, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, blanch the sprouts in a pan of boiling water for 4-5 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water. Halve the larger sprouts but leave any small ones whole.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, then gently bubble until it just starts to turn brown and smells nutty. Add the roasted carrots and the blanched sprouts, then stir through the macadamia nuts. Season to taste, then serve.
Blanch the sprouts (as in step 2), the day before, then keep in a sealed freezer bag in the fridge until ready to use.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Christmas trimmings, sides and sauces
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a feast of...
Make-ahead Christmas sides
Don't spend Christmas Day in the kitchen, use...
Christmas dinner recipes
Consider yourself truly spoilt for choice this year...
Brussels sprouts recipes
In season from October to March, brussels sprouts...