Strawberry and nectarine galette
- July 2023
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 10 min, plus oven time 20-25 min
This is a super-versatile summer galette, as you can swap the fruit for other summery stone fruits like peaches and plums. For this version, we’ve used fresh strawberries and nectarines. The smart addition of basil leaves really complements the fruit, and adds a touch of class. See our tip below for other herb suggestions.
Take a look at our easy blueberry galette, too.
- 19g (6.2g saturated)
- 32g (7.5g sugars)
- 320g ready-rolled sheet shortcrust pastry
- 25g ground almonds
- 3-4 large strawberries
- 2 small nectarines
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp runny honey, warmed
- Small basil leaves to garnish
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6 and put a large baking sheet inside to heat up. Lay the pastry out on a sheet of baking paper (or leave it on the paper it comes rolled in), then prick all over with a fork. Sprinkle the ground almonds evenly over the pastry, leaving a 3cm border clear around the outside.
- Hull the strawberries and halve and stone the nectarines. Cut both into 3mm thick slices, then arrange 3 rows of nectarines across the pastry (keeping the border clear), leaving gaps to lay the strawberries over the top. Fold over the exposed pastry border, creating little pleats as you go. Brush the border with the beaten egg, then sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Remove the hot tray from the oven, carefully slide the galette (still on the baking paper) onto it, then bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the pastry base is cooked through and crisp underneath. Brush the honey over the fruit and return to the oven for 5 minutes more. Serve scattered with the little basil leaves.
Easy swaps Nectarines can be switched out for other summery stone fruits like peaches and plums, while the strawberries can be substituted with whatever berries you fancy. Try thyme or tarragon instead of the basil too. It’s a very versatile recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Make-ahead summer dessert recipes
Ricotta torte with nectarines, honey and walnut drizzle
This summery nectarine dessert recipe tastes works with peaches or...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter