- 400ml double cream
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 (about 1.5kg) swedes, quartered and thinly sliced
- Butter, for greasing
- 175g crumbly goat’s cheese, plus extra to scatter over
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Heat the cream, milk and whole garlic cloves in a small pan over a low heat until almost boiling. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for at least 15 minutes.
- Blanch the swede in a pan of boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes until almost tender, drain, then layer in a medium buttered ovenproof dish with the cheese and lots of seasoning. Pour over the cream, discard the garlic, and sprinkle with the extra cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the swede is cooked and the dish is bubbling and golden.
Serve this side dish as part of our Scottish roast menu
- To freeze: Place the cooled dish in the freezer, covered with cling film and foil. Reheat from frozen at 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 for 1 hour, loosely covered with foil, until piping hot.