Giant cinnamon bun
- November 2021
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus cooling
Our giant cinnamon bun is made to tear and share. With a zesty orange glaze and sprinkles, it’s perfect for brunch or a festive breakfast.
We’ve nabbed the recipe for Gail’s Bakery’s cinnamon buns, too.
- 29.6g (16.7g saturated)
- 68.4g (43.9g sugars)
- 100g unsalted butter, softened, plus an extra knob
- 3 eating apples, chopped into small cubes about 1cm
- 100g soft brown sugar or light brown muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 x 350g 6-packs Jus-Rol croissant dough
- 150g icing sugar
- Zest and juice 1 clementine
- Sugar sprinkles (optional)
You’ll also need
- 23cm springform cake tin, lined
- Melt the knob of butter in a non-stick frying pan, add the apple cubes and fry for 4-5 minutes until golden brown, stirring so they don’t catch.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until combined.
- Heat the oven to 160ºC fan/ gas 4. Unroll the dough onto the worktop, then pinch together the perforations but leave as 2 separate rectangles of dough.
- Spread the butter over the 2 pieces of dough, to cover them, then sprinkle with the cinnamon/ vanilla sugar. Divide the apple between the dough rectangles, scattering it over the sugar but leaving a little border all around. Roll each up from a long edge to make a long sausage. Coil one sausage of dough to make a swirl, then transfer to the lined cake tin base (unclipped). Arrange the second sausage of dough around the first coiled swirl, then clip on the cake tin sides.
- Put the tin on a baking tray, then bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then unclip and cool on a rack.
- To serve, mix the icing sugar with a little of the orange juice to make a thick, drizzly icing, then spoon liberally over the bake. Decorate with orange zest and, if you like, sugar sprinkles.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter