- August 2016
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 10 min
Adding freshly grated horseradish and chipotle paste gives this classic Middle Eastern a spicy kick.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 12.5g (1.6g saturated)
- 44.2g (0.8g sugars)
- 250g cooked chickpeas (or a 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 4 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- a tiny dab of chipotle chilli paste (or a pinch of chipotle chilli powder)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 5 tbsp ice-cold water
- A good drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp za’atar (Middle Eastern spice mix, from large supermarkets)
- A few toasted pine nuts
- Put the chickpeas, tahini paste, crushed garlic cloves, chipotle chilli paste (or powder), lemon juice, finely grated fresh horseradish and fine sea salt in a food processor, then whizz to a smooth paste.
- With the machine still running, slowly drizzle in the ice-cold water, then 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil and blend until extra smooth. Scoop the houmous into a bowl, swirl the top with a fork, drizzle with more olive oil, then sprinkle with the za’atar and a few toasted pine nuts. Serve with toasted pitta bread and crudités.
Rate & review