- December 2016
- Makes 24
- Hands-on time 1 hour, oven time 20-30 min, plus cooling and chilling
These classic French canapés may be small in size but the topping made from anchovies, olives and thyme means they’re big in flavour. Make them ahead, too.
- 6.1g (2.9g saturated)
- 6g (1.3 sugars)
- 50g unsalted butter
- 3 large onions, finely sliced
- 320g ready-rolled all butter puff pastry, at room temperature
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 100g anchovy fillets in oil, halved lengthways, then again widthways
- A few fresh thyme sprigs, picked into tiny sprigs
- 12 pitted black olives, rinsed and cut or torn in half
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then add the onions. Cook over a low-medium heat for 40-45 minutes, stirring often, until the onions have reduced and look sticky and golden. Spread out on a plate and leave to cool completely.
- Unroll the pastry on its paper, trim away any uneven edges and cut into 24 squares. Use the tip of a sharp knife to score a thin border around each square, then brush the border with beaten egg. Transfer the squares, spaced out on their paper, to a baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes. Heat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas 6.
- Once the pastry has chilled, bake for 10 minutes until puffed and crisp. Remove from the oven (use a sharp knife to separate any that are stuck together). Press down the middles with the back of a teaspoon, then fill with 1 tsp of the onions. Cross 2 anchovy pieces over each tart, then top with thyme and an olive half.
- Transfer the tarts to another baking sheet (discard the paper) and bake for 5-10 minutes until the pastry is deep golden and the onions have shrivelled slightly. Serve warm.
Cook the onions up to 3 days ahead, then chill in an airtight tub; use to top the tarts as in the recipe, but bake for a few minutes longer so the onions heat through.
Bake the pastry squares 48 hours ahead and store in an airtight tub in a cool, dry place. Stack carefully – they’re fragile.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
A delicious French take on pizza, topped with caramelised onions, anchovies and olives.