Roast squash with blue cheese and pickled walnuts
- November 2015
- Serves 6 as a side dish
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 1 hour
Roast squash with tangy blue cheese and crunchy walnuts is the perfect side recipe for a cold day.
- 14g (4.5g saturated)
- 16.2g (8.9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large (about 1.2kg) butternut squash
- 100g vegetarian stilton (or for a non-veggie option, you could use gorgonzola dolce or roquefort)
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 4-5 pickled walnuts (from delis or the condiments section of supermarkets), chopped
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 200°/180°C fan/ gas 6. Put the oil in a large, shallow baking tray or casserole and put in the oven to heat up. Deseed and chop the squash into 1.5cm pieces (see tip). When the oil is very hot, add the squash, season and roast for around 1 hour, turning once or twice, until the squash pieces are deep golden and slightly charred.
- Crumble over the stilton, then return to the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Sprinkle over the parsley, chopped walnuts and some salt, then squeeze over a drizzle of lemon juice and serve hot or warm.
You don’t need to peel the butternut squash. After roasting, the skin softens and turns beautifully chewy.
Roast the squash up to 6 hours in advance. Reheat in a 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 oven for 15 minutes, turning twice, then add the blue cheese and pickled walnuts from step 2.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter