Sriracha tofu with shaved broccoli and edamame salad
- August 2023
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This sticky, spicy tofu is a genuine crowd pleaser. Cook it right, and you’ll even bring round the tofu-sceptics. Serve this easy vegan dinner with rice and a nutritious shaved broccoli, sesame and edamame salad on the side.
Mix up your plant-based meals with 100+ more vegan dinner recipes.
- 14g (1.8g saturated)
- 77g (7.2g sugars)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 5 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 broccoli
- 150g ready-cooked edamame beans (soya beans) (if using frozen: defrost, then boiled for 2-3 minutes, then drain and refresh in cold water)
- 300g short or long-grain rice
- 225g smoked firm tofu (we used The Tofoo Co.)
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp agave syrup (or runny honey, if you don’t need it to be vegan)
- In a large frying pan, toast the sesame seeds for a minute or so until golden. Tip into a large bowl and mix in 2 tsp soy sauce, the garlic and sesame oil. Finely shred the broccoli using a knife or ideally a mandoline (if you have one) to get wafer thin slices. Add to the bowl along with the edamame beans and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cook the rice according to the pack instructions or your preferred method. Meanwhile, cut the tofu into 3cm cubes. Coat the cubes in 2 tsp soy sauce, then toss through the cornflour to coat evenly.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat, add the oil, then fry the tofu, turning every now and then, until crisp on all sides (about 8 minutes).
- Stir together the sriracha, remaining 1 tsp soy sauce and agave or honey. Tip the mixture into the pan and cook the tofu for another 2 minutes or so until sticky. Serve the tofu with the rice and the shredded broccoli salad.
The shredded broccoli will be more tender if it has longer to marinate, so if you have time make it at lunch and leave it in the fridge for dinner – it will give all the flavours a little longer to get to know each other.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Green noodle and tofu salad with ginger and tamari dressing
Change up your salad game with this Asian-inspired recipe. On...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter