Stuffed tomatoes with almonds
- February 2006
- 1 red pepper
- 150g brown basmati rice
- 4 large beef tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Leaves from 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp each chopped fresh oregano, basil and parsley
- 50g toasted flaked almonds, crumbled
- 25g finely grated vegetarian Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Put the pepper in a roasting tin and roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the rice and cook for 25 minutes. Drain. Lower the oven temperature to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Put the pepper in a plastic bag, seal and cool. Remove the stalk, seeds and skin and chop the flesh.
- Remove and finely chop a 1cm slice off the rounded side of each tomato. Scoop out and discard the flesh from the tomatoes. Upturn the tomatoes onto kitchen paper and drain.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion, garlic and thyme for 10 minutes, until browned. Add the chopped tomato and spring onions and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add the rice and cool slightly. Stir in the pepper, zest, herbs, almonds, 15g of the Parmesan and season.
- Spoon into the tomatoes. Put into an oiled ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the rest of the Parmesan and bake for 30 minutes, until soft, cooked through and golden. Serve with spinach.
Rate & review