Black rice salad with roasted carrots, shallots and ricotta
- June 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 1 hour, plus 30 minutes soaking
Serve this black rice salad as a vegetarian main or side. The dollops of creamy ricotta dotted on top add a richness that will have your guests begging for seconds!
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.8g (3.2g saturated)
- 45.6g (13.8g sugars)
- 400g banana shallots, halved
- 400g baby carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Bunch fresh thyme
- Olive oil for roasting and frying
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 250g Italian black venere rice (we used Gallo), soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
- 200ml dry white wine
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Bunch each fresh mint, parsley and basil, most roughly chopped, a few whole leaves kept for garnish
- 50g wild rocket
- 80g ricotta
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the shallots, carrots, garlic, lemon zest and juice and the thyme in a roasting tin. Drizzle generously with oil, then drizzle with the honey and toss to coat. Roast for 25-30 minutes until the carrots are sticky, golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, warm the stock gently in a pan. Heat a glug of oil in a large deep saucepan and add the rice. Fry gently for a few minutes, then turn up the heat and add the wine. Bubble for 3-4 minutes to reduce, then gradually add the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring often, until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender (40-45 minutes).
- Leave the rice and veg to cool for 15 minutes until just warm.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk the vinegar with the honey, then gradually whisk in the oil. Season.
- To serve, toss the rice, roasted veg and salad dressing together. Season, then stir in the herbs and rocket. Arrange on a serving platter, dot with the ricotta and garnish with a few herb leaves.
Chill a simple Italian white – a pinot grigio or soave.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
It only takes 15 minutes to turn cold, leftover risotto into these easy Italian-style arancini...