Heritage tomato salad
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 20 min
Ruby red heritage tomatoes are served simply with pickled shallots, quality olive oil and caperberries in this standout salad.
Do more to showcase the summery flavours of tomatoes with this heritage tomato, cheese and chutney tart.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.7g (0.8g saturated)
- 4.6g (4.3g sugars)
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1kg heritage tomatoes, sliced
- 50g caperberries
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 60g bag rocket
- Toss the shallots with the sherry vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes, then drain (reserve vinegar). Arrange the tomato slices on a platter and top with the shallots and caperberries.
- In a bowl, whisk the reserved sherry vinegar with the olive oil and thyme, then season with salt and pepper. Put the rocket in another large bowl and toss with a spoonful of the dressing, then arrange over the tomatoes. Drizzle over the rest of the dressing and finish with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Put the tomatoes, shallots and caperberries in a large airtight container. Keep
the dressing in a small sealed pot and pack the rocket in its bag. Drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes and top with the rocket just before serving.
You can buy heritage tomatoes from larger supermarkets or order from deliciousmagazine.co.uk/shop. Or use regular tomatoes with a mix of shapes and colours.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Potato and radish salad
A simple potato and radish salad recipe that is easy, refreshing – and perfect for...
Barbecued chicken, blue cheese and pickled celery salad
Sophie Michell’s recipe for barbecued chicken incorporates classic American flavours but without the junk food...