Sardine, chickpea and roasted pepper toasts
- January 2021
- Serves 2-4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 30 min
Looking to improve your working from home lunches? Try these sardine toasts with chickpeas and roasted red peppers for a delicious and nutritious lunch that will see you through until dinner time.
Want to make more of a meal from your tin of sardines? Try using tinned sardines in this budget-friendly sardine fishcakes recipe.
- 23g fat (3.2g saturated)
- 17.4g protein
- 33.2g carbs (8.1g sugars)
- 9.7g fibre
- 0.9g salt
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 mixed peppers, sliced
- Splash of olive oil
- 400g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 slices of bread, toasted
- 4-8 tbsp aioli (garlic mayonnaise)
- 140g tinned sardines in oil, drained
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the onion and peppers with a splash of oil in a roasting tray and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and smoked paprika, toss again, then return to the oven for 12-15 minutes to crisp the chickpeas. Remove from the oven and mix in the parsley, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Spread each hot piece of toast with 1-2 tbsp of aioli, then spoon the roast veg and chickpeas mixture over. Top with the sardines, to serve.
Serve this as a salad with peppery leaves and crunchy bread croutons if you prefer.
Rate & review