Smoky prawns with tomato and coriander
- February 2014
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 40 min
This spicy, Spanish-style starter kicks off a romantic meal in style. Turn up the heat with these smoky prawns in a rich tomato sauce.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 13.4g (1.9g saturated)
- 11.5g (9.2g sugars)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp smoked paprika (pimentón)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 125g raw sustainably sourced peeled king prawns
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Sliced green chillies and lemon quarters, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or sauté pan, then add the onion. Fry gently for 10 minutes, stirring often, until softened but not coloured, then add the garlic and paprika. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar, bring to a gentle simmer, season, then cook for 20 minutes, stirring often, until reduced and rich. Set aside until needed (see Make Ahead)
- When you’re ready to serve, add the prawns to the pan, stir to coat and cook for 3-4 minutes until just pink. Chop most of the coriander and stir it through with a generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil (see tip). Taste and adjust the seasoning. Scatter with the sliced chillies and remaining coriander sprigs, then serve with lemon quarters in a sharing bowl, with plenty of crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
The extra-virgin olive oil added at the end helps bring out the flavour and improve the texture of this dish, so be generous in your drizzling.
You can store the tomato sauce, without the prawns, for up to 3 days in the fridge and the flavour will improve over that time. Or, freeze the sauce for up to 3 months, then defrost thoroughly. Heat until bubbling, then continue the recipe from step 3.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
King prawns with garlic and chilli (gambas al ajillo)
Try this easy recipe for garlic and juicy chilli king prawns as part of a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...