White miso soup with soba noodles
- January 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
A bowl of miso a day keeps the doctor away, say the Japanese – especially when you add shiitake mushrooms, known for their immune-boosting properties.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13.1g (0.8g saturated)
- 57g (7.8g sugars)
- 1 litre good quality vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp mirin (from the world food section of supermarkets)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, plus extra
- 2 carrots, finely sliced
- 1 small daikon (mooli), peeled and thinly sliced (optional)
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 3 tbsp white miso paste (we like Clearspring; available from the world food section of supermarkets and online)
- 200g firm silken tofu, cut into 1cm pieces
- 200g soba noodles, cooked to packet instructions
- Bring the stock and 250ml water to a simmer in a pan over a medium heat, then stir in the mirin and soy sauce. Add the carrots and daikon, if using, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Whisk in the miso, then add the tofu and cook for 1 minute or until warmed through. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
- To serve, divide the noodles among 4 bowls, then pour over the soup. Top with the shredded spinach and sesame seeds (if using). Serve with extra soy sauce. You could serve this soup with shredded baby spinach and 2 tsp each white and black sesame seeds (optional).
For more mushroom flavour, soak dried porcini and add to the stock with the soaking liquid.
Rate & review