Crab apple and chilli glazed beef sirloin
- March 2021
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 40 min, plus cooling and resting
This glazed beef sirloin recipe is so easy. It takes just 30 minutes to prepare, plus a quick blast in the oven. An easy, delicious Easter roast.
Alternatively, how about this summery roast beef with aubergine, peppers and cannellini beans?
- 73.6g (34.1g saturated)
- 13.4g (13.2g sugars)
- 35g anchovy fillets in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 120g crab apple jelly (see tips)
- ½-2 tsp chilli flakes or crushed pink peppercorns to taste (see tips)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or beef dripping
- 1.2kg boneless British beef sirloin, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper (at room temperature)
For the watercress crème
- 300g crème fraîche
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- Squeeze lemon juice (optional)
- 3 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Large handful watercress, very finely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
You’ll also need
- Flameproof roasting tin
Useful to have
- Digital probe thermometer
- Mix the anchovy fillets with the vinegar until fairly smooth, then mix in the jelly and chilli flakes/pink peppercorns (see tips) to make the glaze. Set aside.
- Set a roasting tin over a medium-high heat. Add the oil or dripping to the tin then, after 30 seconds, add the sirloin, fat-side down. Brown for around 5 minutes until golden, then turn and brown the meat on each side for around 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, spread two thirds of the glaze over the meat, cover with foil and leave to cool to room temperature (about 45 minutes – see Make Ahead).
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6, remove the foil from the meat (keep it handy) and roast for 25 minutes. Turn the oven down to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4, remove the meat from the oven and brush with the remaining glaze. Cover loosely with foil, then return to the oven for a further 10-20 minutes, depending on how thick the joint is and how you like it cooked. If you have a probe thermometer it should be 50°C in the middle for rare, 55°C for medium-rare and 60°C for medium (the temperature in the centre will rise by about five degrees as it rests). Once cooked to your liking, remove from the oven and leave the meat to rest on a lipped board or tray for 10 minutes, loosely covered in foil, then slice to serve.
- Meanwhile, make the watercress crème. Use a balloon whisk to beat the crème fraîche with the garlic, salt, vinegar, lemon juice and the extra-virgin olive oil until smooth. Stir in the chopped watercress, then taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more lemon juice and/or salt. Transfer the beef to a serving dish, arrange the watercress leaves around it and drizzle over any glaze or juices from the roasting tin. Serve with the watercress crème, roast potatoes and seasonal greens.
Crab apple jelly is available from farmers markets and delis. Alternatively, we like Tiptree quince jelly. Instead of chilli flakes or pink peppercorns, look out for crispy chillies in oil – Italian or Asian varieties work well and are available in larger supermarkets, delis and Asian supermarkets. The tangy-sweet-salty crab apple and chilli glaze works well with the cool, creamy watercress sauce on the side. It would also work well with roast pork.
Make to the end of step 2 up to a day ahead, then cover and keep chilled. Bring to room temperature, then complete the recipe to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Goat's cheese recipes
Beef sirloin with roast beetroot and goat’s cheese
The creamy goat’s cheese and sweet roast beetroot complement a succulent steak.
Chargrilled rare sirloin of beef
Rick Stein’s beef dish is perfect for feeding a crowd. Rick recommends you let it...
Pangrattato-topped beef with slow-roast tomato, garlic and basil lentil salad
Picnics are more than soggy sandwiches and biscuits – pack up this beef and salad...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...